Sep 27, 2010

Gourds in New Jersey Farm Country

It's that time of year when all the window boxes get changed or are supplemented with some gourds.  I love them because no critters eat them and they come in all of the seasons changing colors.  Since it has been so dry here in the East Coast we will welcome seeing these.. I am concerned, as we all are about our trees in the forest holding on with this drought.   The rich colors of last autumn will not visit us this year.


I changed out some fabulous containers for a client last week. I will post some pictures.  Think kale, mums, gourds, and I left some decorative grass that has died but looks like haystacks! Pumpkins love the heat though and that they have had! Nothing like the sugar pumpkins.


I can't wait to show you all of the beautiful squashes that grow right here in New Jersey that we can eat and double as decorations. The Yankee in me loves to be frugal, so why not skip the Halloween store for decorations and just pay tribute to what grows seasonally.  Decorate and then eat! They should last outside for two to three months still looking lovely for Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Not to be irreverent but have you seen this? Autumn humor! http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2009/10/20nissan.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I was laughing my a** off and I needed that because the squirrels in Hopewell came and ate into every gourd I put outsite. Next year I might just put out poison for them instead. Horrible, I know.

    ReplyDelete